” Vanilla Buttercream Recipe with step-by-step pictures. This simple and smooth buttercream frosting recipe is used as icing for cakes and cupcake recipes. “
The buttercream frosting was originated from a European country. There are many types of buttercream frosting like Italian, German, French, Swiss, and American buttercream frosting. The American Buttercreme is famous among home bakers because it is very simple and can be done in less than 5 minutes. I also frosted my first cupcake with this buttercream recipe.
The American Buttercream Frosting
This recipe pulls very basic 5 ingredients, butter, confection sugar, also known as icing sugar, vanilla extract, 2 tbsp milk or cream, and a pinch of salt. Blend all the ingredients and your buttercream is ready to be frosted.
Butter – It is always better to use unsalted butter in baking recipes because different butter has a different composition of salt. This might affect the original flavour of the recipe. I prefer to use unsalted butter in all my recipes.
Powdered Sugar – This is also known as confection sugar or icing sugar. This gives sweetness and makes the buttercream more firm. If you powder normal sugar you cannot achieve the same consistency as using confection sugar.
Vanilla– Pure vanilla extract is always a great option to bring out the intense vanilla flavour
Milk or cream – Makes the frosting silky which helps to frost the cakes easily.
How to make Vanilla Buttercream Recipe
- Cream the butter and salt using an electric beater. Beat from medium-high for about 2 mins.
- Sift your powdered sugar to prevent clogs in the buttercream while piping.
- Add the powdered sugar in batches to the butter, mix at medium speed to prevent the spreading of powdered sugar all over the place. scrap the sides and add another batch of powdered sugar.
- Incorporate sugar and add vanilla extract and start beating at high speed for about 5 mins. This makes the buttercream silky without any grains.
- Add 2 tbsp of milk or cream if your buttercream is thick. This step helps the buttercream to achieve a silky texture.
- Use the buttercream straight away to frost your cakes or cupcakes.
- If you want to prepare the frosting ahead the buttercream can be stored in the refrigerator
- Bring the buttercream to room temperature before frosting. Give it a quick mix using an electric blender if the buttercream is thick.
You might also like
Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
Tips and tricks for a smooth buttercream recipe
- Sift your powdered sugar to prevent clogging of sugar in the piping bag.
- Beat the butter and sugar in medium-high for about 5 mins to get a smooth buttercream. If you did not whip the cream properly it turns to be grainy.
- You can add many flavours like Almond, caramel, melted chocolate or coffee
- If you want the cream to be easily spreadable you can add 2 tbsp of full cream.
- Store the buttercream in the refrigerator if you want to prepare it ahead.Bring the buttercream to room temperature you can even give it up a quick whip if need before frosting
- Storing in an airtight zip locker, this buttercream can stay for 30 days in the freezer
No Bake Mango Cheese Cake Please leave me a comment or tag me on Instagram @ranjanisscribbles if you try this recipe or any other recipe from ranjanisscribbles.com.
American Buttercream Frosting